Guide to local amenities within and near the Freeman Hospital, Newcastle Upon Tyne
Within the Hospital
- Restaurant – From the hospital main entrance go down in the glass lift one floor. It is open between – 7.30am and 7.00pm Monday to Friday. Weekend and Bank Holidays slightly restricted opening times. (Take your flat key with you as you will get a discount).
- Coffee Shop / WH Smiths – Snacks, news papers, magazines etc., and mini market. It is situated next to the Bobby Robson entrance to the rear of the hospital. Open between – 7.30am and 8.00pm.
- Coffee Shop – level 1 by the Cancer Centre Entrance.
- Mini Market – Near the Main Entrance on level 1. This is run by the League of Friends.
- HSBC Bank / mini bank – Near the Main Entrance on level 1 close to the mini market.
- Hair Dresser – Near the Main Entrance on level 1 close to the mini market and HSBC Bank.
- Chemist / Pharmacy – Go through the main entrance. Pass the mini market and hairdresser turn right at the end of the corridor and carry on down and you will find it on your left.
- Launderette – On side of Beachwood House. Door code 524. Open between 8.00am and 9.oopm 7 days a week. There is a charge of “2.00 per wash and £1.00 per tumble dryer. Tokens are available from Hotel Services on Level 1. They are open between 8.00am and 5.00pm Monday to Friday.
- Voucher for WiFi – Can be purchases from cashier’s office opposite main lifts.
Within Walking Distance of the Hospital
- Sainsbury’s – Directions on foot – From the Cancer Centre exit, cross the road and go more or less straight ahead and out of the hospital grounds onto foot / cycle path. Turn right follow path ¼ mile to Benton Road. (Newton Park pub on left). Turn right Sainsbury’s approximately ¼ mile on road on the left. Approximately 15 minute walk. You will also find fuel and cash machines there too.
- Sainsbury’s – By Road – From the front of the hospital turn left onto Freeman Road, carry on to the roundabout. Take the 2nd At the end of the road turn right at the mini roundabout. Supermarket is on your left.
- Tesco & Waitrose – Small stores in Jesmond – on foot – from the front of the hospital cross Freeman Road and turn right at the roundabout. Take the 1st exit and turn left past David Lloyd centre and down the hill, Cross bridge and turn left at the junction. Go up the hill past Council Horticultural Department and at the top of the hill follow the road around to the right. Turn left through bollards along pedestrian path, at the end turn left and then first right. Carry on this road past the church on the right. Cross the road at the end and carry on straight ahead past Subway (sandwich shop). Pass the public baths on the right and Tesco is on the left. Waitrose is at the end of the road past Tesco. Approximately 30 minutes.
- By Road – From the front of the hospital, turn right onto Freeman Road to the roundabout. Take the 1st exit past David Lloyd centre; carry on over the narrow bridge. At the junction turn left and go up the hill. Follow the road around to a set of traffic lights. Turn left at the first set of traffic lights. At the next set of traffic lights follow the signs for Jesmond. Follow the road around past the church. On the left at the next set of traffic lights is Jesmond.
Local Pubs / Café’s
- David Lloyd Leisure Centre – From hospital main exit, turn right onto main road (Freeman Road). At the roundabout turn left, the centre is on your left. All transplant patients and relatives are welcome to use the club’s café facilities. Restaurant and bar are open 7 days a week 7am to 11pm. Mention that you are in the FHLTA on entry.
- NEWTON Park Pub – Part of the Hungry Horse Chain. On foot follow directions for Sainsbury’s (on page 1).
- Brandling Villa – On foot, from the cancer centre exit cross the road and walk more or less straight ahead. Leave the hospital grounds onto path / cycle way. Turn left, it is signposted South Gosforth. Go down the hill to the bottom of the track and by the double mini roundabouts the put is across the road.
- Millstone – On foot or by car from the main hospital exit cross Freeman Road. At the roundabout turn first left pass the David Lloyd centre and go down the hill and over the Jesmond Dean Bridge. At the junction turn right and the pub is ¼ mile on the right.
- Corner House – On foot or by car from the front of the main hospital exit left onto Freeman Road. Carry on to the roundabout and take the first exit. At the next roundabout turn right and take the 3rd Proceed to the end of the road and the put is opposite.
Other areas near the Hospital
- Gosforth – By care from the front of the hospital turn right onto ~Freeman Road. Go straight across at the roundabout (2nd exit). Continue to the bottom of the hill to a double mini roundabout. Turn left at the fist one and then go straight ahead at the next one (2nd exit). Continue up the hill (the Brandling Villa is on the left). Follow the road past the shops and takeaway’s in South Gosforth and Metro Station. At the road end traffic lights turn left onto Gosforth centre or right onto the Great North Road. You will find an ASDA, Banks, Shops, Supermarkets, Pubs, Restaurants and Post Office etc.