Freeman Heart & Lung Transplant Association
Guide to Local amenities within and near the Freeman Hospital,Newcastle.
Within the Hospital
- Canteen – From hospital main entrance down in the glass lift one floor, Open 7.30am to 7.00pm Mondaay – Friday. Weekend and Bank Holidays slightly restricted opening times ( take your flat key with you as you get a discount)
- Coffee shop/WH Smiths – snacks,papers,small mini market. Next to Bobby Robson entrance,back of hospital. Open 730-800pm
- Coffee Shop – level 1 by Cancer centre entrance
- Mini Market – Near Main Entrance on level 1.Run by League of friends
- HSBC Bank/mini bank – Main entrance close to Mini Market
- Hair Dresser – Close to Main entrance,after Mini market
- Library – Close to Main entrance, next to Mini market
- Chemist – Through Main entrance,past Hairdressers and Mini market, right at end of corridoor and carry on down and oit is on your left
- Laundrette – On side of Beachwood House. Door code 524, opens 8.00am-9pm 7 days a week. Cost £2.00 per wash and £1.00 per tunble dryer full. Tokens available from Hotel services on level 1,open 8-5,mon-fri
- Vouchers for Wifi – can be purchased from cashiers office opposite main lifts
Within Walking Distance
- Sainsburys – Direction on foot – From the Cancer centre exit, cross the road and go more or less straight ahead and out of the hospital grounds onto foot/cycle path turn right follow path 1/4 mile to Benton Road, (Newton park pub on left) Turn right. Sainsburys approx 1/4 mile on road on the left. 15 mins approx. There is fuel and cash machines there also.
- Sainsburys – By Road – From the front of the hospital turn left onto Freeman Road, carry on to roundabout, straight on 2nd exit. At end of road mini roundabout turn right,supermarket on left.
- Tesco & Waitrose – Small stores in Jesmond – Directions on foot-From front of hospital,cross Freeman Road and turn right ,at roundabout 1st exit turn left past David Lloyd cente and down the hill,cross bridge,turn left at junction,up hill,past counclil Horticultural Dept and at top of hill follow road round to the right and turn left through bollards aloing pedestrian path, at the end turn left,then first right, carry on this road past the church on right. Cross the road at the end and carry on straight ahead past subway (sandwich shop), pass the public baths on the right and Tesco is on the left. Waitrose is at the end of the road past Tesco, approx 20-30 mins.
- By road – From the front of the hospital,turn right onto Freeman Road,straight on to roundabout, first exit down the hill past David Lloyd Fitness Centre,carry on over narrow bridge, at the junction turn left upthe hill. Follow road round straight ahead.Turn left at first set of light, at second set of lights follow signs for Jesmond, follow road round past the church. On the left at te next set of lights is Jesmond.
- David Lloyd Leisure Centre – From hospital main exit, turn right on main road on to Freeman Road, to roundabout, turn left, centre is on your left. All transplant patients and relative’s are welcoe to use the club’s cafe facilities. Resturant and bar is iopen 7 days a week, 7am – 11 pm.Mention you are in the FHLTA on entry.
- Newton Park Pub – Part of the Hungry Horse Chain, On foot- follow directions for Sainbury’s (on page 1)
- Brandling Villa – On foot, from the cancer centre,exit accross road and walk more or less straight ahead,leave hospital grounds on to path/cycle way,turn left, sign posted South Gosforth, go down the hill to the bottom of the track and by the double mini roundabouts the pub is accross the road.
- Millstone – On foot or car – from the main hospital exit accross Freeman Road,at the roundabout turn first left exit past thte David Lloyd centre, go down the hill and over Jesmond Dean Bridge, at the junction turn right and the pub is 1/4 mile on the right.
- Cornerhouse – On foot or car from the front of the main hospital exit left onto Freeman Road,carry on to the roundabout and take first exit,at next roundabout turn right and take 3 exit, proceed to the end of the road and the pub is opposite.
Other areas near the Hospital
Gosforth – By car from the front of the hospital turn right onto Freeman Road, straight across the roundabout, 2nd exit, down tothe bottom of the hill to a double mini roundabout, turn left at first then straight on at the second roundabout and then up the hill, the Branding Villa is on the left. Follow the road past the shops and takeaway’s in South Gosforth and metro station. At the road end trafic light turn left into Gosforth centre or right onto the Great North road and Asda. Within Gosforth are Banks, Shops, Supermarkets, Pubs, Resturants & Post Office etc
Four Lane Ends